Remembering our Veterans

Apr. 06, 2013 @ 04:34 PM

Granville E. Hearn, Jr.

Lt. Colonel, USAR Retired

Granville Hearn was born in Haverstraw, New York, and raised in a small town, Seaford, Delaware. Seaford had a population of 3,000. During the last two years of high school, Granville was a member of the Delaware National Guard, underage by two years. Following graduation from high school, Granville relocated to Wilmington, Delaware, where he attended and graduated from Beacom College. Soon after, he married and worked for New York Life Insurance Company.

On that ill-fated day, December 7, 1941, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, war became imminent. A year and a half later, in July, 1943, Granville enlisted in the Aviator Cadet Program, Army Air Corps, as he desired to become a commissioned officer. After two years, he transferred to the U.S. Army, graduating five months later, as Second Lieutenant Artillery, U.S. Army. Within two months he was sent to Germany as a replacement Artillery Officer, 380th FA BN 102nd Infantry Division. Because Granville did not have enough points to return, he was reassigned as Administrative Assistant to the Chief Surgeon of the 3rd Army (Patton’s Army). While at the 3rd Army Headquarters, Granville was sent as a witness to the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials, seeing all of Hitler’s henchman. Two months later he was shipped to Sonthofen, Germany, to administer the Field Hospital. My job was to hire and fire personnel, obtain supplies and drugs from Munich, 100 miles away, as well as satisfy the needs of the Doctor.

One day, while serving as Officer of the Day, he received a call that almost 100 or more German civilians were assembling at a local gymnasium to initiate a riot. Granville and his driver quickly went over to the assembly, jumped out and went in the door. There they were - 100 Germans. Needless to say, panic was aroused in both Americans, as their 45 safety lock was off, and if one of the Germans had advanced them, Granville would have shot to kill. Fortunately, that did not happen, and soon after, Granville was shipped back to the States and home. His tour of duty was almost three years to the day!

When returning home to his wife and two babies, he accepted a job with the Pure Ol Company and within a couple of years he was transferred to Charlotte, North Carolina. Because he had been a member of the Delaware National Guard, and the Virginia Guard, he joined the North Carolina National Guard, where he became a Major.

Granville left Pure Oil as well as the North Carolina National Guard. He had been selling insurance, annuities and investments with Connecticut Mutual, Mass Mutual, and Northeast Life Insurance Company. He then transferred to the UlS. Army Reserve and was promoted to Lt. Colonel and retired after 32 years Reserve, National Guard as Lt. Colonel. He is a Life Member of the Million Dollar Round Table. That is a high ranking in the world of insurance sales.

It is coincidental that approximately fifty years ago, Oscar Broome, then Superintendent of Monroe City Schools gave him time to present the 403b Tax Sheltered Annuity Program. Many of those teachers are still drawing monthly income from those plans.

Granville’s family consists of his wife, Pearl, of 73 years, four children (Nancy deceased), 9 grand-children and 9 great-grandchildren.

Granville considers the Armed Forces his training round, his university. He feels great contentment at age 94 because of the wonderful benefits he has earned through all his brave service in the U.S. Armed Services. He claims he had a great “ride,” and wishes we had been with him.

Thank you, Lt.Colonel Granville E. Hearn for your sacrifices on foreign soil.