Electrical fire damages adult club in Monroe

Jan. 16, 2013 @ 06:34 PM

Monroe firefighters responded to a fire at Platinum Diamonds Tuesday evening.

The fire started a little after 7 p.m. and occupants of the adult club on West Roosevelt Boulevard evacuated when they smelled smoke.

The fire took about 10 minutes to get under control, Kevin Rigoli, Monroe's fire marshal and division chief of the Monroe Fire Department, said.

"There was an electrical short in the neon lights that ignited the wooden boxing in the roof," Rigoli said.

Firefighters were on the way back from a fire at ATI Allvac on Ashcraft Avenue when the fire at Platinum Diamonds started and were able to get there quickly, he said.

The fire caused around $8,000 to $10,000 worth of damage to the Platinum Diamonds building but did not damage any of the building's contents. They got the fire under control in about 10 minutes and had to turn off the power to the building. 

The fire at ATI Allvac that firefighters had just returned from caused about $15,000 worth of damage to the facility and started after a hydraulic line was cut and then ignited and burned. It took about 20 minutes for firefighters to control the fire and no one was injured, Rigoli said.