Man treated for burns from Monday night house fire

Jan. 01, 2013 @ 04:43 PM

A fire broke out at 502 Colony Road, off West Franklin Street, Monroe at about 7:30 p.m. 

Homeowner Clyde Heath, Jr. sustained burn injuries from the fire. He was taken to the burn center in Winston-Salem, Monroe Fire Chief Ron Fowler, said. 

Fowler spoke with Heath's wife Tuesday morning. She told him he was doing well and doctors expect a full recovery. 

Heath was alone in the house when the fire started and got out by himself. He was outside when the firefighters arrived, Fowler said. 

It took the department 20 to 25 minutes to bring the fire under control, Fowler said. Their main focus was taking care of Heath.

The fire department estimates that the fire caused about $20,000 in damages. It was contained to one side of the home, mostly in the kitchen and living room. 

"As far as the cause, we have determined that it was an accidental fire," Fowler said. 

The department is still investigating to be certain, but there are indications that it was started by a space heater in the home. 

Fowler said that space heaters can be common fire starters. 

"Be sure to keep any combustible materials at least three feet away from the space heater and make sure you use a space heater that's third-party certified," Fowler said. 

Fowler said that while he does not like for anyone to be hurt, "We're certainly glad it was not any more serious than it was." 

"Our thoughts and prayers will be with him...let's hope and pray for a speedy recovery for him," Fowler said.